Monday, December 26, 2011

Zoo Lights

This is the third time we've gone to the zoo lights. The first time was two years ago when we went with my mother-in-law. The kiddos were young, Adelaide had just turned one and Oliver was two. They had a good time but it didn't seem magical. Last year we went and it was ridiculously cold. So cold that I could not bring them through those lights fast enough.

This year, though, was different. Magically different. We went with two of my friends and their children and the second we got to the entrance, Oliver's eyes opened so wide at all of the beauty and then he started jumping up and down. When we went inside the zoo, reality was completely forgotten. We had entered the land of holiday magic. He and one of his friends ran all over the zoo squealing and laughing as they embraced the beauty that was around them. The weather could have definitely helped because it was about fifty degees outside...the perfect temperature to stroll through zoo lights.




Here is one of his excited faces. He could hardly contain himself!

When it was time to leave, Oliver and Adelaide were visibly sad. They did not want to go but we had been there for about an hour and a half and I was running out of energy carrying Adelaide everywhere! On the way to the car, Oliver held my hand and said "Mommy, do you know what I was thinking about while I was running through the lights? I was dreaming that I was holding an enormous wrapped present and was running everywhere with it in my hands." I got to see a little bit of Oliver's perspective when he told me that. Yup, the magic was there that night and I have his story to prove it! Being an adult, I try to create the magic for them but it's hard for me to feel it. I can't always tell if they've had a magical experience but I think this night will serve as a good reminder to me about the beauty of childhood.

No comments: