Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The House That I Tried to Build...

I have never made a gingerbread house before, even the prepackaged kind. I decided it was on our list of holiday things to do this year. I figured we'd start small and go for the prepackaged, ready made gingerbread house deal. We picked up our box of supplies and were ready to go. I do remember thinking to myself, "I really hope this isn't too easy." Ha! Famous last words.

Immediately after opening our box and taking out the gingerbread pieces, our roof fell apart...split completely in two. I saw the icing and decided that the icing would fix the problem. I started icing the heck out of the roof. And then I started icing the side of the house that fell apart. Literally, our house was broken before we even started to put it together. Oliver was so sweet and patient. Finally, I looked at them and asked them if they cared more about decorating the house or eating the house. They decided they wanted to decorate it. So, out came the superglue.

I glued our gingerbread house together. Oliver is a little skeptical but so far it's holding together.



Okay, this just might work.


Then, SPLAT! Within two seconds, the entire thing fell apart. Granted, the way the house was assembled it probably would have only taken one side to even tilt slightly for this to happen, but our gingerbread house dreams were shattered.


Or so I thought until I realized that they really just wanted to go crazy with the marshmallows, sprinkles, icing and candies. I told them they could decorate their pieces but were under strict orders not to eat any part of house.





And off they went. They iced, they sprinkled, they decorated until there was nothing left to put on those darn gingerbread pieces. This, at least in our house, is what the holidays are all about!

1 comment:

Krisko said...

Love it! It reminds me of when I was little and my mother attempted the same thing. Lots of laughs and love thats all that matters.