Thursday, January 5, 2012

Paint Those Masterpieces!

I am not an artist.  In fact, I am not all that naturally creative.  I look for ideas and try to replicate the projects with my children.  I wish I was more artistic.  I wish I was more creative.  I wish I could look at a blank canvas and just create.  It's not how my mind works but I still try to give Oliver and Adelaide the opportunity to unleash their artistic side when I am feeling patient enough!

There is an art supply wholesale store near where we live that we go to whenever we are doing some sort of project.  They have canvases there and last year we created a Valentine's Day canvas.  Oliver asked me if we could do it again this year so we headed over there to pick up a canvas.  We are still working on that project, but we also noticed some small canvases that would be great for Oliver and Adelaide to use so we picked up one for each of them.

When I gave them their five colors, blank canvases and paintbrushes, I knew exactly what was going to happen!  I knew Adelaide's canvas would end up looking like it does in the pictures below and I knew Oliver's canvas would be a little more carefully crafted.


Adelaide went right for mixing the colors.


Oliver designed a border and then worked on the inside.



And Adelaide kept on mixing that dynamic grey/black color.


She took it to a completely different level!





Oliver's finished canvas before he added to it later!


Meanwhile Adelaide kept working...trying to get those black lines just perfect!




When I asked her what it was, she picked it up, looked at it thoughtfully and said....


"Poop.  I made poop!"  I couldn't help it...I burst out laughing because she is obsessed with that word and clearly it's on her mind.  Yes, Adelaide, you are correct.  


We also used glue and some cereal to make their names.  


Or just Adelaide's name I should say.  Oliver decided that he wanted to make her name as well.

It was a nice, crafty (at least by my standards) Thursday!

1 comment:

Krisko said...

Too cute. Its so fun to see how different little kids can be from each other. I think L and A are alot alike. I'm still not sure were C came from. LOL.