Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Eve Wedding

New Years Eve holds a special place in my heart when it comes to my relationship with Chris.  At the end of 2002, after dating for almost three years (we met in college), Chris proposed to me on New Years Eve.  The story itself is actually funny to the two of us because of the events that led up to the evening.  Chris and I were visiting my parents and he knew that he wanted to propose while we were visiting so we could celebrate with my family.  He and my dad went for a drive (I believe to Home Depot) a few days before NYE when apparently he asked my dad for his permission.  My dad gave him the okay to propose to me but said he needed to check with my mom.  If you know my dad, what he said next makes perfect sense.  He said, "Chris, when I see you later, if I tell you that it is going to snow on New Years Day, then you have the okay from the two of us."  Of course, Chris got the okay!  Because we were visiting my parents, where he was going to propose proved to be a challenge.  We went out for dinner and he told me he thought about doing it during dinner but realized how impersonal it seemed surrounded by all these other people out to dinner.  I did notice, looking back, that he did not touch his dinner but could not figure out why at the time!  When we got back from dinner, we went for a LONG walk.  It was so cold!  After about a thirty minute walk, we headed back to my parents house and then he proposed on the stairs.  I was so excited and immediately said yes!!!  That was nine years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Together, we have moved a few different times, spent a year apart when he was in Afghanistan, each completed graduate school and brought two wonderful little people into the world.  He is my partner and my best friend.  I am thankful for him.

This year, we attended a wedding reception on New Year's Eve.  We were fortunate enough to have my mother and father-in-law babysit Oliver and Adelaide for the weekend and we had a great time together.  It was a fitting reminder of the proposal Chris made years ago and the life we have created since that day that I decided to become his wife.

No comments: