Saturday, January 7, 2012

One on One Time

Yesterday, I learned a valuable lesson.  It all started when we were getting Oliver ready for school.  He did not want to go which is fairly unusual for him.  After a little bit of digging, I found out that he was upset that he was going to school and Adelaide was staying home with me.  This fall, he went to school while Adelaide was at Christine's house.  Because I'm not a full-time student anymore, that has changed for now.  He still goes to school while Adelaide spends the morning with me.

He then told me that he felt sad because he wanted to spend some special time with both Chris and me. I happily told him that could be arranged.  With a bit of planning last night, today was all about Oliver.  

He went with Chris in the morning to check out the new football field in our town.   



He also went with Chris to the Home Depot monthly kid's workshop.  This month they made savings sheds.  He loves going there and creating things.  Last month, I got a lovely napkin holder.  This month was something special for him.  I think he was most proud of his Home Depot apron and two pins that he has on them.  He wore the apron all day and showed me the pins at least a dozen times.


In the afternoon, I asked him where he wanted to go and he told me he wanted to get a hot chocolate with whipped cream.  We headed to Starbucks where he waited in line behind me and ordered his own drink and paid.  He was grinning ear to ear the entire time we were together.  We actually really talked. I loved it.  I loved that special time with him.


He got a bit distracted by two cheerleaders outside of Starbucks!


After Starbucks, he told me he wanted to rent a movie at Redbox and get popcorn so that was next on our agenda.  When we got home, he gave Adelaide a big hug and they enjoyed some popcorn and a video.

I am so happy that Oliver and Adelaide have each other.  I really and truly am and cannot imagine it any other way.  But, yesterday reminded me of how important it each for each of them to have special time with their parents.  We try our best to create a loving and attentive environment for them and part of that, as I realized, is creating alone time for each of them with us.  I love love love my little man.

No comments: