Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What I Learned

Last week I had surgery and learned a few things as a result of the whole experience:

*First, vicodin is some strong stuff.  Woah.  While I do feel it was necessary to take it as prescribed for the pain, looking back, it had quite the effect on me.  I stopped taking it on Monday night and I had no idea how out of it I had been since last Thursday until I woke up on Tuesday feeling like myself again.

*Second, I will never again try to plan a party or make lists in my head immediately following surgery.  When I was in the recovery room, I had about six hours where I was being monitored.  I couldn't do anything because I was still so drowsy and they were checking my pulse, blood pressure and so on.  I also couldn't talk well because my throat was really sore.  I had the *brilliant* idea to close my eyes and plan Oliver's birthday party (which is still months away).  Honestly, I couldn't get past the date of his birth.  In my head I said, "he will be five."  Then, I'd forget what I was going to do next and would start over again with "he will be five."  When planning a party wasn't working, I decided to make a list of everyone I know.  How boring am I?  But, I couldn't get past my parents, in-laws and siblings before I forgot who I had listed and had to start over again.  I even forgot Oliver who I had just been planning a party for.  According to my post-surgery list, I know a total of six people.  Then I gave up on making lists and just laid there.

*Third, Lipton packaged chicken soup is SO good.  I think it's my favorite soup ever.  I never got tired of it, even after eating it for days.

*Fourth, being honest with Oliver and Adelaide was helpful.  I told them the day before my surgery that I was having surgery and I am glad that I did.  I think it helped that they had surgery before so they felt like they could relate:).  They actually started jumping up and down and telling me, "Mommy, you'll get to watch tv and eat your meals on the daybed just like we did!"  Apparently that must have been a huge treat because that is what they remember from their surgery.  Also, Oliver said the funniest thing to Chris.  He asked Chris if I could only eat soft food because it was going to come out of the hole in my neck.  Chris had to explain a bit about my surgery after he said that.

*Fifth, apparently I become an online shopper when I am heavily medicated and have access to a computer.  Suddenly, everything on Zulily seemed like the cutest thing ever.  Luckily, Chris stopped me before I took it too far.  And, in fairness, Adelaide did need some new shoes and hair bows.  She just may not have needed that new dress.

*Sixth, I am so fortunate to have such special people in my life.  I am thankful for my parents who took care of Oliver and Adelaide, my husband who took care of me and all of the people who checked in to see how I was doing.  I am also thankful for my in-laws who are opening up their house to us this weekend so we can celebrate my husband's birthday down at the Cape.  I love to celebrate birthdays but I knew this year I would still be on the mend so I asked my mother-in-law if we could come down to see them and perhaps she could make Chris a special birthday dinner.  She was happy to help and Chris put in his request for a special dinner.

*Finally, I've been sucked into The Hunger Games.  I decided to read it because I've heard so much about it and it is GOOD...REALLY GOOD.


No comments: