Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Simple Moment

Ever since I can remember, I have had a very hard time just relaxing and enjoying the moment.  My mind is often consumed with a million other little thoughts...these thoughts of 2012 involve housework that needs to be done, fears about parenting, and self-reflection.  I have finally begun to accept that the housework will never be done because there will always be more meals to be made, more toys to be played with and more clothes to be washed.  But, I have a choice in how much I let it affect my thoughts.  I am still learning when it comes to parenting.  I don't think I will ever hit a point in parenting when I think I have it figured out.  Are there things I wish that I had done differently over the past four years?  Absolutely.  Are there things that I think I've done well?  Of course.  I have two children who are very different from each other and I need to remember that I am doing the best I can with them.  I really am doing the best I can with Oliver and Adelaide and at the end of the day, isn't that what matters?  The self-reflection part is a bit more difficult because I am hard on myself.  But, one of the things that I can work on is enjoying the little moments that happen every day.  I've been wanting to be more "present" with my children and I made the decision that I will find at least one moment every day that I am fully engaged in whatever we are doing together.  

Earlier this week, we went outside to blow bubbles and I sat under a tree and watched them squeal with delight every time they blew a big bubble and it flew high into the sky.  I can honestly say that for about ten minutes I was filled with a sense of contentment watching them enjoy a beautiful day.

On Thursday, it was so warm outside so after dinner we made milkshakes.  They were so delicious and the three of us sat at the table and talked while drinking our milkshakes.  That was my little moment for Thursday.

Yesterday, Oliver and Adelaide's school had an evening event called Planet Playhouse.  When we were there, we went to one of the rooms where a teacher was reading a story by starlight.  Oliver and Adelaide sat on my lap while we listened to the story and the three of us really enjoyed that time together.



I may not be able to enjoy every moment of the day, but I am trying to focus on one little moment at a time.  I am thankful for my family and for the life that I have.


No comments: