Thursday, March 15, 2012

Happy Birthday to My Husband!

Last weekend was my huband's birthday.  My mother and father in-law were so nice to have us to their house to celebrate his special day.  I was still recovering and if I could count on anyone to make a delicious meal and dessert for Chris, it would be my mother-in-law!  

Oliver and Adelaide were so excited to help make the banana cream pie.  

 I know Adelaide does not look so excited here, but she was having a good time...really!
 This is possibly one of my very favorite pictures of Chris with the kids.  They were so excited to pick out their cards and presents for him and seeing the three of them sitting together like this really warms my heart.

 My mother-in-law did a fantastic job.  Chris had a porterhouse steak, potatoes, salad and a delicious pie.
 We actually had the pie before we ate our dinner.  When we go down to the Cape, we feed the kids before us so that the adults can have a leisurely dinner by the fireplace after the kids are asleep.  Sometimes our conversations go on for hours.  So nice.
This year, I am very thankful for my husband.  We have known each other for twelve years and gone through many major life adventures together.  We've done a long distance relationship- both early in our  relationship when we lived in different states and again after we were married when he spent a year in Afghanistan.  We've supported each other through difficult times, including the loss of some of our most loved family members.  We've been there through career changes, graduate school for both of us and many moves.  We've brought two incredible little people into this world who make our lives so much better.  We love being parents.  We were talking about that the other night and we are so thankful that we have Oliver and Adelaide.  I knew the second I met him that he was the one for me.  If you ask him if he felt the same way about me, he'd be honest and say no :)!  But, I felt this strong connection to him that I couldn't let slip and I pursued him during our senior year of college.  That persistence finally paid off when we started dating in the middle of senior year.  I believe that he has made me a more well-rounded person.  My love of foods has grown tremendously.  One of my favorite things to do with him is go out for dinner and try something new to eat.  I've also grown to appreciate wine, traveling and come to fully understand football.  It's fun to simultaneously yell at the tv screen after a bad call by the referee and then be able to discuss why it was a bad call!  He understands me in ways that most people don't.  I am probably not the easiest person to live with because I do wear my heart on my sleeve.  If something is bothering me, I need to talk about it.  If I'm feeling worried, I need to talk about it.  He's very good at letting me talk and just accepting me.

Birthdays, regardless of age, are important.  It's a reminder of the gift of life that a loved one has been given and it's an opportunity to celebrate another year!

No comments: