Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sacrifice

I am only including this picture because I really like it.  I saw Adelaide all curled up on the chair with her favorite babies and it made me smile.

Today is Ash Wednesday.  I explained to Oliver and Adelaide that we were all going to give up something for Lent.  Chris decided to give up beer, I decided to give up chips and Starbucks and Oliver and Adelaide took a very different approach.  Adelaide totally got the idea of giving up something she likes and after thinking about it, she decided that she would give up ketchup and potato chips.  Oliver got this panicked look on his face and broke down saying, "I can't give up something I love.  I just can't.  I'm going to give up something I DON'T like."  I did not expect him to get so upset.  He then decided to give up "the crusts of bread and mustard."  I had to hold back a smile.  I didn't push him too hard.  I probably should have prepared him better, knowing well that he does not like unexpected things.  So, our list this year includes: beer, Starbucks, chips, potato chips, ketchup, mustard and the crusts of bread.

I had a frustrating morning with the kids.  I took them to get ashes.  On the way there, Adelaide asked a very cute question.  She said, "When am I going to get my eyelashes?"  I realized that she was talking about the ashes.  When we got to church, I was hoping they would be quiet and respectful.  After a few minutes, they got very restless and starting moving around a lot and making some noise.  I felt bad for all of the other parish members because I am sure they were hoping for a nice and peaceful service.  I was disappointed that they did not understand the importance of the morning and that they couldn't be respectful and calm for even 45 minutes.  I know they are 3 and 4 but at some point they need to understand that there is a time for quiet and there is a time for play.  I decided that when the service ended, we were going to sit there by ourselves.  After everyone left, I talked to Adelaide and Oliver and then they had to sit there, quietly for 3 minutes.  I think they kind of got it.  After, the reverend came in and talked to us.  He was very kind and he told me that a quiet church concerns him more than a lively church.  I appreciated his kindness and gesture.

We've been at this church regularly for about 18 months and I am happy with the church school program and the services.  I just hope that there comes a time when Oliver and Adelaide can learn to be respectful at church.

*Amendment:  Tonight before bed, while I was reading Oliver books, he decided that he wanted to give up something he really loves instead of something he doesn't like and made the choice to give up french fries.  He really loves french fries.  I was proud of him.  I think he really does just need time to process an idea before making a decision.

No comments: