Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spooky Foods


This past weekend was our annual spooky foods dinner.  I have to say that this year was my favorite spooky foods dinner so far.  I am realizing more and more that the most impromptu events can make for the most fun...it's all about what we do with the time we have together.  The last two years that I've had the spooky foods dinner, I've spent a full week preparing the menu, shopping, and trying to make sure the decorations were festive.  

This year, our schedule has been a little bit busier so while I knew we were going to do something with spooky foods, it wasn't until Friday night that Chris and I decided to have our dinner on Sunday and make the menu simpler.  We knew that the mummy dogs were Adelaide's favorite, mummy pizzas were Oliver's favorite, and Chris and I liked the snake calzone.  Those three items were plenty of food for us.  We decided that if we each had something we liked on the menu, then we couldn't go wrong.  I decided that bubbling brew would be worms, fruit juice, ginger ale and crushed fruit with silly straws.

Aunt Carolyn and Uncle Mike had given Oliver and Adelaide some fun mustaches and that made for the perfect Spooky Foods dinner accessory!  With a some spiderwebs, eyeball lights, a web with a spider, and an orange tablecloth that Nonna sent, we were ready to turn our dinner into a memorable night.




When Chris brought over the snake, the kids were excited.  True to our planning, Oliver ate two mummy pizzas and Adelaide ate two mummy dogs.  The best part of the party was when we turned out the lights, ate dinner by candlelight and told spooky stories.  Chris was the best storyteller.  He made up some story about the phone ringing and whenever he answered it, the voice on the other line would count down the minutes.  Adelaide was a wee bit scared.  She kept on looking at him and saying, "But, that's not real right?"

 Finally, when it was time for Adelaide to tell a story she created one about a scary straw that came out of the scary drink to go eat the mustard who ran away screaming.  Very entertaining!

Chris and I both agreed that this was our favorite spooky foods dinner because of the time we spent together.  I love my family very much.

No comments: